Re: How to log yourself out remotely of a session you forgot to log out of?

Joerg Johannes wrote:

Hi Adam

Am Dienstag, den 22.03.2005, 15:07 +0000 schrieb Adam Funk:
Sorry about the subject header, but I couldn't think of a concise yet clear way to express it. The other day at work I realized I had forgotten to log out of an XFCE4 session on my home computer. I connected to it by SSH and used kill to close the running graphical applications, then killed a few other things to close the X session. Is there a "correct" way to do this?

I don't think there is a "correct" way to do this. But what you did is
exactly what I would do as well. If you can use sudo un the machine in
question, just do
sudo /etc/init.r/{x|d|k}dm restart
to restart the login manager. Every running X session (and child
processes) will be killed that way.

I would not suggest restarting the login manager. Any X app you are running that has any state (think mozilla, openoffice, etc.) will not get a chance to safely shutdown, and can cause corruption and/or lost data.

Mike