How to log yourself out remotely of a session you forgot to log out of?

Sorry about the subject header, but I couldn't think of a concise yet clear
way to express it.  The other day at work I realized I had forgotten to log
out of an XFCE4 session on my home computer.  I connected to it by SSH and
used kill to close the running graphical applications, then killed a few
other things to close the X session.  Is there a "correct" way to do this?

What about non-graphical console sessions left logged in?

--
Thanks,
Adam