Re: 486 laptop...

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:42:11AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> I think plenty of people would love a simple laptop that just works -- I
> agree a real lightweight wm with a simple editer like Nedit, a
> lightweight browser and email client, what more could you really need?

As a data point, I have just resurrected an old Compaq LTE 5300 (P133,
80M ram, no cd, flakey floppy drive, 1.3G HD).  Because the floppy
was intermittent, I removed the HD and installed sarge on another
laptop with a bootable CD and a pcmcia ethernet card.  To make it fit I
selected only the workstation task and also the selection of individual
tasks, under which I removed gdm and gnome (I wanted kde).  That must
have removed enough packages to allow the installation to barely fit.
After the *.deb files were deleted, the disk is now 72% full.

Surprisingly, gdm is still there and the gnome desktop is the only
one apparently available, and it works.  Of course, when I moved
the HD back into the LTE, I had to manually reconfigure pcmcia
and X (different chips), but now it works.  I will eventually fine
tune the packages with aptitude and see if I can get kde into that
small HD.  BTW, this installation was with the 2.6 kernel.  Sound
still needs work as does acpi.

A.