Re: Why not 1.1.4 for OpenOffice in unstable ?

Jonathan Kaye wrote:

En/La Bob Alexander ha escrit, a 22/03/05 14:54:
| Jonathan Kaye wrote:

| Well, this is normal in the beautiful world of Free/Libre Open Source
| Software :)
|
| If you are curious test this:

That's a bit difficult since I never use debian packages for Openoffice
precisely because they're way out of date (even behind OO stable
releases, as you've noticed). As a result I don't have 1.1.3. My
girlfriend is using 1.1.4 will that do? I guess you don't know because
you're using 1.1.3, yes?
| 1) Send an impress presentation built with 1.1.3 to a friend using
| 2.0-beta rc and let him edit it and send it back to you in .sxi

I don't know about the 2.0-beta rc. I'm not sure about your comments
below. Specifically, I'm using 2.0 beta build 1.9.79. I don't see it
referred to as an rc either on the openoffice site or on my installed
package itself. I have used earlier preview or snapshot versions of
1.9.7.xx (probably starting around 1.9.7.72) which were pretty rough but
these were for testing purposes. By 1.9.76 or so things settled down and
I didn't notice any major problems.
| 2) Edit the updated file with 1.1.3 again and save
|
| 3) Try opening the file again :( :( :(
|
| I am talking about 1.1.3 since use that of Debian pkg.
|
| I also found sometimes CPU 99% used by the oo launcher.
|

| I had a nice long talk with the very knowledgeable and friendly head of
| the OO Italian translation and he warns againts using 2.0-beta rc (and
| the fact it's called beta release candidate is a synonym for alpha
| really :->)
This is what confuses me. As I said, I don't see any reference to a
2.0-beta rc anywhere. Maybe we're talking about different versions.
Check on the oo site yourself. Also I'm using the English version.

| A question: is the OO installer somehow compatible with the LFS and
| Debian's placement of the various files ?
I can't tell you because I put the OO files in /opt and keep them
separate from Debian stuff (as I do for Firefox, Thunderbird and a bunch
of other stuff. Remember the installer for 1.1.4 is not (yet?)
implemented in 2.0. It is released in rpm format which needs aliening
into deb files or you can get debian deb's here
ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/localization/OpenOffice.org/devel/680/
I've always used the first method (downloading from OO itself).
Let me know if you want me to try your test using 1.1.4 (I've got an old
2yrs+ version of a file I could try.)
Cheers,
Jonathan

Well,
the horrible behaviour was amongst a 1.1.3 from Debian and a 1.9.m83 snapshot that I have downloaded as a .deb from a Czech web site.

It could be interesting if you could try a 1.1.4 experiment though.

Take care,
Bob