Re: Why not 1.1.4 for OpenOffice in unstable ?

Jonathan Kaye wrote:

En/La Bob Alexander ha escrit, a 22/03/05 11:31:
| Is there a reason for which OO 1.1.4 which IIRC dates to Dec 2004 is not
| packaged at least for sid and is still 1.1.3 ??
|
| I know (personal experience) that OO beta is way too immature to use it
| for any reasonable work but 1.1.4 seems rock solid.
Hi Bob,
    Since OO's stable version comes with a very nice installer maybe nobody
feels pressed to package it for the various distros. But I really have
no idea. 1.1.4 is certainly rock solid but I've been using the various
components of the 2.0 beta release (1.9.79) intensively with no hint of
problems. In general my experience with betas seems to be quite
different from yours, but to each his own.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Well, this is normal in the beautiful world of Free/Libre Open Source Software :)

If you are curious test this:

1) Send an impress presentation built with 1.1.3 to a friend using 2.0-beta rc and let him edit it and send it back to you in .sxi

2) Edit the updated file with 1.1.3 again and save

3) Try opening the file again :( :( :(

I am talking about 1.1.3 since use that of Debian pkg.

I also found sometimes CPU 99% used by the oo launcher.

I had a nice long talk with the very knowledgeable and friendly head of the OO Italian translation and he warns againts using 2.0-beta rc (and the fact it's called beta release candidate is a synonym for alpha really :->)

A question: is the OO installer somehow compatible with the LFS and Debian's placement of the various files ?

Take care,
Bob

Bob