Re: OpenOffice

On (22/03/05 11:58), Helge Tore Høyland wrote:
> Helge Tore Høyland wrote:
>
> >Jon Dowland wrote:

> >>Dear, dear me...
> >>
> >>Find out if it's in woody by looking through your local packages
> >>lists, via apt-cache, dpkg -l, aptitude, whatever. Or, use
> >>http://packages.debian.org/
> >>
> >>If it isn't, you need to upgrade to sarge, or run a mixed
> >>distribution (although, I imagine trying to run OOo and the required
> >>support libs from sarge on woody would be a disaster due to the age
> >>difference being as big as it could be)
> >>

> Should I update to sarge then?
> Is that risky?
There is (or was) a backport for OOo:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-openoffice/2003/12/msg00126.html

I would imagine it has been updated since then.

Upgrading to sarge isn't exactly risky but it does mean you need to
upgrade your system more often.  If you do a search on 'debian stable v
testing v unstable', you should find copious discussion on the relative
merits of each flavour.  I would suggest you use aptitude and before
upgrading, install apt-listbugs (if it is in woody, or as soon as you've
upgraded) -it will alert you to open bugs prior to installation.

FWIW I run woody on one server, sarge on a number of others and sid on
my workstation.  Sarge is pretty solid, from memory there are some open
bugs in perl and a couple of other packages currently and so I haven't
upgraded those and so far, these servers have been pretty solid since
installation in December.

Public servers should definitely be on woody but if they aren't exposed
to the world, sarge is fine.

Regards

Clive

--