Re: OpenOffice

Helge Tore Høyland wrote:

Jon Dowland wrote:

Scarletdown wrote:

Helge Tore Høyland wrote:

Is OpenOffice included in Woody, and if not, how do i get it in the debian way?

apt-get install openoffice.org perhaps?

Dear, dear me...

Find out if it's in woody by looking through your local packages lists, via apt-cache, dpkg -l, aptitude, whatever. Or, use http://packages.debian.org/

If it isn't, you need to upgrade to sarge, or run a mixed distribution (although, I imagine trying to run OOo and the required support libs from sarge on woody would be a disaster due to the age difference being as big as it could be)

Should I update to sarge then?
Is that risky?

Helge Tore

Not really. Sarge is tagged "Testing," but all that means is it's still under light development, and all known problems are getting ironed out. In my experience Sarge is more stable and complete than other distros main releases.

The joy of the Debian packaging is awesome upgrading. Though things can potentially go wrong, especially if you only upgrade part of y our system, generally upgrading from Woody to Sarge, or even to Sid, is a smooth process that leaves you in a perfect working environment. <rant> I used Woody for a grand total of three days, couldn't stand KDE 2, and switched to Sarge. I never found a bug in the months that I used it. Now I use Sid, and other than installing unstable nVidia drivers that totally messed up my system, I've only found one or two bugs, that have since disappeared.

My point is that in the Debian world "Unstable" means "not garunteed to work, but it works well anyway for non-production use" testing means "We're getting there... but we wouldn't garuntee that your server won't get cracked if you run it." Stable means "Titanium-solid, super-secure, great for servers. But the software is so old you won't be able to stand it for home use."
</rant>

To upgrade to Sarge just change every instance of "stable" in /etc/apt/sources.list to "testing", and run "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade".

I regularly install onto my old Mac's from the Woody dist (Sarge kernal won't boot on my old Macs for some reason... have to use 2.2), and upgrade to Sarge or Side with no hiccups.

   Cheerio,
      SigmaX

--
Registered Linux Freak #: 366,862
http://counter.li.org

I'm a SDA... 'a who?" you say? See below:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/sda.htm<<
Why?:
http://www.matthewmcgee.org/prophesy.html<<