recommended graphics card (was: DRI with ATI)

The following leads me to ask (see below)....

> On Monday 21 March 2005 18:34, michael wrote:
> > Folks - sorry I'm no expert with graphics so apols if I get any terms
> > mixed up. My problem is that I get the warning/error msg
> >   Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
> > I have just installed xlibmesa-gl-dev & xlibmesa-glu-dev and the above
>
> Thats not what you need.  What you need is to install the package
>
> xlibmesa-dri
>

> > warning appears when I run vis5d, glxgears & tuxracer. From bug 286135 I
> > see that this implies "normal behaviour for every app that uses mesa and
> > DRI support is missing"
> >
> > My XF86Config-4 has a DRI entry (at the end all by itself), viz:
> > Section "DRI"
> >         Mode    0666
> > EndSection
>
> In terms of modules, what does that section say?
>
> Here's mine - I am pretty sure I have to comment out "GLcore" and add "dri"
> and "glx" (although its a while now since I did it)

{snip} - didn't help

> > and the following appears in XFree.0.log
> >  (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
> >
> > My graphics card is ATI RageXL
>
> No idea if this particular card is supported
>

> Have you looked at the link below - everything you need to know should be
> there
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/FrontPage

ah... so it seems that my card may not support DRI. Indeed, it seems my
card is bit of an odd one... so what is the 'best' alternative - one
that works with openGL/mesa and a Sony SDM-X93 19" TFT?
Cheers, Michael