DRI with ATI

Folks - sorry I'm no expert with graphics so apols if I get any terms
mixed up. My problem is that I get the warning/error msg
  Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
I have just installed xlibmesa-gl-dev & xlibmesa-glu-dev and the above
warning appears when I run vis5d, glxgears & tuxracer. From bug 286135 I
see that this implies "normal behaviour for every app that uses mesa and
DRI support is missing"

My XF86Config-4 has a DRI entry (at the end all by itself), viz:
Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

and the following appears in XFree.0.log
 (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI

My graphics card is ATI RageXL

I note I've not rebooted since installing xlibmesa-gl/glu-dev but I'm
presuming that's not necessary.

So, what do I need to do to ensure my DRI support is there/working and
thus not get error/warning from Xlib?

Thanks,

--
Michael Bane