Re: IIS says "You are not authorized to view this page". Grrrr.

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 22 March 2005 01:02, Brendon Lloyd Higgins wrote:

Not Debian specific, but worth a try.

Braindead administrators at my uni have installed an IIS system for
a team project I'm working on as part of my studies. As you
might've guessed, this server requires authentication, but use
anything other than IE and it won't ask for it. It'll just tell you
"You are not authorized to view this page".

I'm not sure what to do. I tried installing Samba to see if it
might've had some useful tools, but ntlm_auth seems to have
disappeared. I've tried the ntlmaps package but I don't think I
know how to set it up right.

I just want to log in and access my stuff. Short of tearing the
admins a new one, what else could I try? Any pointers to other
relevant info is appreciated.

There used to be a setting in some browsers that would allow them to spoof who they were, but I don't recall seeing that in them recently.

And I just spent 40 minutes looking for that setting in mozilla without finding it, and that includes the 'about:config' address.

Opera used to be able to do that & I think even netscape could do it. I wonder why mozilla can't says he...

Aha! konqueror still can, but you'll have to know what IE calls itself and enter it in the browser ident menu as a custom item.

I hope this helps. And when they discover you've not been using IE, point out to them that the lockup M$ is attempting with the IE only attitude is what got them into antitrust court, and will again the minute GWB is gone. You might also point out that you paid real money for your tuition, and that you would like to have real service for your money. If that doesn't work, find a lawyer.

You might want to try the "user agent switcher" extension in Firefox or Mozilla.
http://www.chrispederick.com/work/firefox/useragentswitcher/

very handy.

rgds

Franki