Re: stop xwindows from loading at boot

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 02:15 am, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Russ Menapace wrote:
> > So how DO you stop X after it boots, anyhow…or prevent it from booting?
> > Ctrl-alt-backspace shuts it down, but it reloads instantly.  I have been
> > trying to figure this out for several days, and wonder if maybe I should
> > just switch distros.
>
> Seems like a silly reason to switch distros.  To stop X, just run:
> /etc/init.d/[gxk]dm stop
>
> To stop it permanently, remove /etc/rc2.d/S99[gxk]dm
>
> Since Debian defaults to run level 2, you will then boot to a text
> console.  If you want to boot to a graphical log in prompt, then tell
> the system to use runlevel 3, 4, or 5 at boot.
>
> As a final alternative, you can just remove the [gxk]dm package(s).
>
> -Roberto

kdm and gdm also have an option to login to a console, don't they?
If one wants to completely disable the session manager, one could
edit /etc/init.d/[kxg]dm   and put  'exit 0'  (without the quotes) on the
line that follows the #!/bin/sh  line.  That way one would not have to remove
the package.

When I want to login to a shell prompt, I just hold down ctrl-alt and touch F1
or F2, etc to get a console.

8)

--
sp@mtr@p: croak@shadypond.com