Re: stop xwindows from loading at boot

Russ Menapace wrote:
So how DO you stop X after it boots, anyhow…or prevent it from booting?
Ctrl-alt-backspace shuts it down, but it reloads instantly.  I have been
trying to figure this out for several days, and wonder if maybe I should
just switch distros.

Seems like a silly reason to switch distros.  To stop X, just run:
/etc/init.d/[gxk]dm stop

To stop it permanently, remove /etc/rc2.d/S99[gxk]dm

Since Debian defaults to run level 2, you will then boot to a text
console.  If you want to boot to a graphical log in prompt, then tell
the system to use runlevel 3, 4, or 5 at boot.

As a final alternative, you can just remove the [gxk]dm package(s).

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr