Software RAID1 upgrade to 2.6 gives kernel panic

Hi,
i'm running 2.4.27 from backports.org with booting software RAID 1.
I installed the kernel 2.6.7 image and i get a kernel panic upon reboot:

<snip>
md: md0 stopped
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/hdd1: No such device or address
mdadm: /dev/hdd1 has wrong uuid.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/hdc1: No such device or address
mdadm: /dev/hdc1 has wrong uuid.</snip>

I tried others 2.4 kernels and had no problem, so it looks like something is
wrong about kernel 2.6.
I also checked the initrd image and everything looks ok.

I'm really stuck on this, please help.

MatB