Re: dvd problem

Miķelis Rozenbergs wrote:
Hello.
yesterday I got a DVD writer (ASUS DRW 1604P) - everything works
perfect, except playing movies- they lag a bit. I think it's not due
to lack of hardware resources (Athlon 2500+, 512ram, geforce fx 5200).
I've tried vlc, totem, gxine etc. players with same result. thanks.
sorry about my english - it's not my native language.

Check that DMA is enabled.  You should be able to execute
'hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdX' (where X is a, b, c, or whatever device
it happens to be) to turn on DMA if it is not enabled.

Also, make sure that your video player programs are using the
xv video driver.  X11 and some of the others require a ton of
CPU and slow to a crawl even on fairly hefty systems.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr