Re: Subject: disable automatic connection to my ISP

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 01:11:48PM -0500, milton@cam.org wrote:
> 1st I have not had time to check 2 years worth of mailing list archives to see
> if there is already a answer to this problem. Soo...
>
> PREAMBLE:
>
> After alleviating what I believe might have been hardware problems I
> finally installed the Woody distribution of Debian GNU/Linux on my
> system. I managed to solve a few problems, and now have a rudimentary
> working system.
>
> At installation time I selected (from tasksel): all of the 'end user'
> tasks, except the laptop tasks; only the 'print server' tasks from the
> 'servers' task list; all of the 'development' tasks; and 'Tex/LaTex'.
>
> After the installation, the graphical login was not displaying properly,
> however, I corrected the configuration of XFree86 for my monitor. I also
> managed to figure out and configure Mozilla Mail so that the system now
> dials my ISP whenever I try to access either my E-mail or a WWW site.
>
> I then installed 'kwuftpd', 'webmin-wuftpd', and 'wu-ftpd'.
>
> PROBLEM:
>
> Once the system was installed I noticed that it automatically dialled my
> ISP. even when I didn't want it to.
>
> How can I disable this? Turn it off? or Change the parameters so that it
> occurs on a schedule that I'm more comfortable with?

Hi,

do you have 'diald' installed? Try

apt-get remove diald

and see if it uninstalls. However, you will loose the ability to check
for mail automatically. From 'apt-show diald':

 The rules for controlling these operations are extensively
 configurable in run time startup files.

So you _might_ be able to configure diald so as to dial only when you
want to access your mail server. Never having used diald myself (as I
still have to pay by the minute), I can't give you advice here.

Basically what is happening, some other program than your mail client
tries to get data from the internet. If your dialup is free, I wouldn't
worry about that.

Hth,
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred