Subject: disable automatic connection to my ISP

1st I have not had time to check 2 years worth of mailing list archives to see
if there is already a answer to this problem. Soo...

PREAMBLE:

After alleviating what I believe might have been hardware problems I
finally installed the Woody distribution of Debian GNU/Linux on my
system. I managed to solve a few problems, and now have a rudimentary
working system.

At installation time I selected (from tasksel): all of the 'end user'
tasks, except the laptop tasks; only the 'print server' tasks from the
'servers' task list; all of the 'development' tasks; and 'Tex/LaTex'.

After the installation, the graphical login was not displaying properly,
however, I corrected the configuration of XFree86 for my monitor. I also
managed to figure out and configure Mozilla Mail so that the system now
dials my ISP whenever I try to access either my E-mail or a WWW site.

I then installed 'kwuftpd', 'webmin-wuftpd', and 'wu-ftpd'.

PROBLEM:

Once the system was installed I noticed that it automatically dialled my
ISP. even when I didn't want it to.

How can I disable this? Turn it off? or Change the parameters so that it
occurs on a schedule that I'm more comfortable with?