possible dependency bug

During upgrades I occasionally come accross packages that I don't
think I need. Last night I removed one of those packages (hotplug).
This morning my system didn't boot up entirely (no network interfaces
& gdm wouldn't start).

Re-installing hotplug solved the problem, however, I would have
thought apt-get would have prevented me from removing such an
important package.

I'm hoping some of you can help me determine if there is a missing
package dependency and what it might be.

Thanks,
Bart