gdm login problem

Hi all,

I am trying to login to gdm (with account f) but after a few seconds (well, half a minute :) I get back the login screen. I succeeded to login with an other account (account s) with no problem so I tried to find a trace of this error in the logs, but have found absolutely nothing.

The only thing I can think of that can cause this problem is that I saved a document as user s into the home directory of f but then chown-ed this file to be owned by f.

Could you help me out with this? First of all, where can I find a clue about what might be causing this problem?

thank you in advance,
Balint

ps. I even tried to login in Gnome failsafe mode but have experienced exactly the same thing.