problems installing

Hello,
I am a newbie to Linux.  I am trying to install DeMudi 1.2 that I got with the LinuxUser mag issue #44.  I am trying to install it on a desktop machine that has had Win2000 on it.  It is something called a ACPI Uniprocessor PC.  It has a Celeron chip.  The whole thing is relatively new, plenty of ram.  It has a Samsung CD-ROM SC-140.
The installation hangs up after I have selected a language.  It says it cannot mount the CD drive which doesn't make much sense.  I went through the help menu by pressing F1 and tried various switches but none worked.  The help information suggested I contact debian.org.
Can you help?
Joe Babb