Re: problems installing

On Thursday 17 March 2005 13:43, Joe  Babb wrote:
> Hello,
> I am a newbie to Linux.  I am trying to install DeMudi 1.2 that I got
> with the LinuxUser mag issue #44.  I am trying to install it on a desktop
> machine that has had Win2000 on it.  It is something called a ACPI
> Uniprocessor PC.  It has a Celeron chip.  The whole thing is relatively
> new, plenty of ram.  It has a Samsung CD-ROM SC-140. The installation
> hangs up after I have selected a language.  It says it cannot mount the
> CD drive which doesn't make much sense.  I went through the help menu by
> pressing F1 and tried various switches but none worked.  The help
> information suggested I contact debian.org. Can you help?
> Joe Babb

I don't have much experience debugging this kind of thing, but I believe the
installer should offer an option to check the media, and make sure it's OK.
You may want to utilize that, so you know that your CD is good.

If your CD is good, when the system freezes up, how hard does it freeze?
Can you get a shell on vt2?  If so, you might see if the process is simply
hung, and can be killed, or if the disk can be mounted manually.

You might also try posting to debian-boot, if no one here can help.  Posting
verbatim error messages is recommended, as something seemingly unimportant
can sometimes point to the ultimate solution.

Justin Guerin