RE: [OT] Trusted Computing and GnuPG

>Why would you want to store your SSH keys on the chip, what
>happens if someone steals you computer, they now have all
>your keys in one spot. Ok it can happen today as well, so I
>really do not think that having a vault will solve that many
>problems. What it will do is drive up less open access,
>which is really against the whole free software idea, as
>well as against the open source ideals.

Here's the way I use it, and the way I think it's the most useful. For
encrypting data kept on another computer... namely a central file server
or some such.

This way, I travel around with my laptop, and access the companies
central file server with my secret documents. Those documents are nicely
encrypted such that no one else can decrypt them without my key. I want
to access them, I unlock my chip, use the keys, and access my files.

Oh no, I lost my laptop, whew, no one can get my keys and access my
files.

Of course, just like before, you still need to be backing up your keys
in case of hardware failure or loss or whatever.

Granted, this can be achieved without the chip, and just in software...
but I think the reason to have the chip do it is portability and
reliability, but I'm not really sure.