Re: Acrobat 7.0 for linux is out

CaT wrote:
I'm trying acrobat's thing now. so far xpdf has the following over it:

a. It's not 95MB in size
Excellent point.

b. It doesn't take 5 seconds to start
It starts in under 2 seconds on my machine.

c. it doesn't have the (IMO stupid) windows-in-windows model
Granted.  I hadn't noticed that.  I rather liked that 5.0 opened each
document in its own window.
d. It doesn't open the window in fullscreen mode. I have other things to
   do on my multitasking computer while I have a pdf open.
From the -help:

        Size and/or location of the document windows.
        Note: this option is position dependent, and can be
        specified multiple times. The geometry specified only
        affects the list of files following it.

Just like any other X app.

e. No way that I (in my quick look of the obvious places in the
   preferences window) can find to turn off the fullscreen thing.

See above.

Now I run a 1600x1200 screen with 1024x768 viewable so you can imagine
how astoundingly annoying point d can be.

Except that it's trivial to fix.

In it's favour though, adobe's reader:

a. is faster then xpdf
Have to disagree with you there.  The new acroread is snappier than
the old one, but unless you have huge (4000x4000 pixel scaled down
so they fit on a printed page) graphics on the page xpdf wins out.

b. has continuous layout - my most-missed feature when using xpdf

I have to agree here.  I usually like the single page layout, but
occasionally I have a use for the continuous view.

That's all I can say after a short bit of use of adobe's reader.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr