Re: [Fwd: KI-2.6.8-2-686 Upgrage And Modem Issuse]-Problem Solved-Partially-thenfinally

This modem issue not solved. The modem functioned(had dns service) only until I rebooted sarge.
Upon reboot, sl0 again reappeared in ifconfig output even though I apt-get remove it and of course, dns services were again disabled. Please someone tell me how to disable or remove
sl0 in a permanent way so my modem will work.  When I uninstalled some related sl0 libraries and
having forgot to use -s, apt removed all of KDE, pon, wvdial,pppd, diald, python and many more I
can't remember.  Deb could at least warn you before taking such a drastic action. I have a single user
PC using a winmoden to connect to the world, no LAN and am network illeterate.  I don't even know what
sl0 does.  Some guidance please, so I can get back to doing my income tax return.
Thanks for any clues,
Leonard Chatagnier

SNIPPED: Refer to original post threads for more info if needed.  NOT SUBSCRIBED: PLEASE COPY MY EMAIL.

Wayne, thank you for the clue on network/interfaces.  When I read your
message, I commented
out the two tunneling commands as shown below and booted sarge:

lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
#auto tunl0               #####Commented out
#iface tunl0 inet static         #####Commented out
      address 192.168.1.1
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      network 192.168.1.0
      broadcast 192.168.1.255
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:~$

After rebooting, wvdialed and apt-get update on console and the download
started immediately.  I didn't see anything about sl0 in the file, but
it works now.  I vaguely remember, during a debconf process for
networking while installing the sarge kernel image, accepting the
default IP address numbers.  A mistake, as I have no network except for
a dial-up modem.  This is one of the big bug-a-boos for me with
Debian-never enough info for the newbie to make an intelegent choice.
However, when I went to KDE and
started the Mozilla browser, I still get the URL not found message
indicating I still have some DNS issues.
Also, this message could not be sent via my SMPT account-send mail
error-unable to connect to SMPT servr.  I would appreciate any more
suggestions on this.
For the Debian users, especially newbies, still having modem issues with
kernel upgrades from woody, I suggest going to linmodems.technion.ac.il
and download and use scanModem.  ScanModem has been greatly improved and
pointed to my key problem.  There seems to be a lot of modem issuse when
upgrading
to new kernels especially above 2.6.8.  Wayne, thanks for the progress
so far.
Leonard Chatagnier

PS-Finally, after a lot of viewing config files, making some change and still no success, I uninstalled sl0 via apt-get remove and my browser and email client now works under KDE. Everyone note, scanModem told me what the problem was and should be of help to all newbies like me.
Thanks for everybody's response and imput. I needed it alll.