Re: need help with tftp server

Thanks Alvin for answering...  Here's the info:

Contents of /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default

PROMPT 1
LABEL pxe
KERNEL linux.bin
APPEND initrd=root.bin flavor=bf2.4
IP APPEND 1

 (I know that I do not need these lines:                      )
 (KERNEL linux.bin                                            )
 (APPEND initrd=root.bin flavor=bf2.4                         )
 (I'm going to be booting Windows clients                     )

I do not have /etc/xinetd.d/tftp BUT I do have:

/etc/init.d/tftpd-hpa which has the following contents:

#! /bin/sh
#
# Author:       Jaakko Niemi <liiwi@iki.fi>
# Modified from skeleton file in sarge

set -e

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DESC="HPA's tftpd"
NAME=in.tftpd
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/$NAME
PIDFILE=/var/run/$NAME.pid
SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/tftpd-hpa

# Gracefully exit if the package has been removed.
test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

# Read config file if it is present.
if [ -r /etc/default/tftpd-hpa ]
then
        . /etc/default/tftpd-hpa
fi

if [ "$RUN_DAEMON" != "yes" ] ; then
         echo "tftpd-hpa disabled in /etc/default/tftpd-hpa"
         exit 0
fi

#
#       Function that starts the daemon/service.
#
d_start() {
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec $DAEMON -- $OPTIONS
}

#
#       Function that stops the daemon/service.
#
d_stop() {
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --name $NAME
}

#
#       Function that sends a SIGHUP to the daemon/service.
#
d_reload() {
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --name $NAME --signal 1
}

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting $DESC: $NAME"
        d_start
        echo "."
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping $DESC: $NAME"
        d_stop
        echo "."
        ;;
  #reload)
        #
        #       If the daemon can reload its configuration without
        #       restarting (for example, when it is sent a SIGHUP),
        #       then implement that here.
        #
        #       If the daemon responds to changes in its config file
        #       directly anyway, make this an "exit 0".
        #
        # echo -n "Reloading $DESC configuration..."
        # d_reload
        # echo "done."
  #;;
  restart|force-reload)
        #
        #       If the "reload" option is implemented, move the
"force-reload"
        #       option to the "reload" entry above. If not, "force-reload" is
        #       just the same as "restart".
        #
        echo -n "Restarting $DESC: $NAME"
        d_stop
        sleep 1
        d_start
        echo "."
        ;;
  *)
        # echo "Usage: $SCRIPTNAME
{start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload}" >&2        echo "Usage:
$SCRIPTNAME {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0

Here are the contents of /etc/hosts.allow

# /etc/hosts.allow: list of hosts that are allowed to access the system.
#                   See the manual pages hosts_access(5), hosts_options(5)
#                   and /usr/doc/netbase/portmapper.txt.gz
#
# Example:    ALL: LOCAL @some_netgroup
#             ALL: .foobar.edu EXCEPT terminalserver.foobar.edu
#
# If you're going to protect the portmapper use the name "portmap" for the
# daemon name. Remember that you can only use the keyword "ALL" and IP
# addresses (NOT host or domain names) for the portmapper. See portmap(8)
# and /usr/doc/portmap/portmapper.txt.gz for further information.
#

Here are the contents of /etc/hosts.deny

# /etc/hosts.deny: list of hosts that are _not_ allowed to access the system.
#                  See the manual pages hosts_access(5), hosts_options(5)
#                  and /usr/doc/netbase/portmapper.txt.gz
#
# Example:    ALL: some.host.name, .some.domain
#             ALL EXCEPT in.fingerd: other.host.name, .other.domain
#
# If you're going to protect the portmapper use the name "portmap" for the
# daemon name. Remember that you can only use the keyword "ALL" and IP
# addresses (NOT host or domain names) for the portmapper. See portmap(8)
# and /usr/doc/portmap/portmapper.txt.gz for further information.
#
# The PARANOID wildcard matches any host whose name does not match its
# address. You may wish to enable this to ensure any programs that don't
# validate looked up hostnames still leave understandable logs. In past
# versions of Debian this has been the default.
# ALL: PARANOID

How can i tell if init.d is running?   I do not have xinetd.d.  If my dhcp
server is issuing IP addresses, would that indicate that it is running?