Re: Voice Chat

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:06:21 +0100
Bruno Hertz <brrhtz@yahoo.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 13:46 -0600, Jacob S wrote:
>
> > According to skype.com, they do have a Linux client - and even .debs
> > of it. I'll be looking into them further.
>
> Go for that if you're comfortable with closed source. Their codecs
> (audio quality vs. bandwidth usage) are said to be good, and the setup
> should be easy. Points that come up now and again are that Skype comes
> from the Kaaza founders, so it's not clear what to think about
> spyware, and that third party calls might be routed through your
> machine eating your bandwidth, which results from the way their
> network is set up. But I have no details about that, and I think it
> need not prevent you from trying it.

Interesting. I may have to put some traffic sniffers on the line to see
if I can determine anything there, but I'll probably go ahead and try
them out.

> > Do you have any urls for 0$ tarif VoIP providers? (I'm sure I could
> > google them, but that doesn't tell me what kind of experience Debian
> > users have had with them, using which software, etc.)
>
> Try FWD http://www.freeworlddialup.com/support/quick_start_guide and
> directly sign up there if you don't want to use their softphone. You
> can take any SIP client to use their service. IAX support is also
> available(e.g. to use iaxcomm on Linux), but you might have to look
> around a little for that.

Sounds good.

> Regarding other providers, I can give you some but that wouldn't help
> you since I'm located in Switzerland, whereas you, I gather, are in
> the US. You wouldn't want your packets travel the whole world, would
> you?

hehe... No, I don't think I have a reason to send my traffic all the way
around the world to talk to my neighbors. :-) And yes, I'm located
across the big pond, in the US.

> But look at www.voip-info.org, which unfortunately is currently down
> (it is rarley though). It has extensive info on all VoIP aspects, and
> also service provider lists. Just can't give you the direct link for
> the reasons mentioned :)

Good info.

Thanks!
Jacob