Voice Chat

I'm looking for some recommendations on a good voice chat program. Both
clients will be Sarge, to start, though I may add an OS X client later.
Both clients have dsl connections and are not on the same network. It
also needs to be semi-secure, since it will be going across the internet
(it doesn't have to be encrypted, but I would like to avoid plain text
passwords being transferred across the internet).

Recommendations for anything from IM clients with voice chat to
GnomeMeeting or similar are welcome. VoIP would probably be overkill at
this point, though if there are free solutions that work well, I have
not totally ruled it out.

TIA,
Jacob