Re: Voice Chat

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:56:29 +0100
Bruno Hertz <brrhtz@yahoo.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 10:38 -0600, Jacob S wrote:
> > I'm looking for some recommendations on a good voice chat program.
> > Both clients will be Sarge, to start, though I may add an OS X
> > client later. Both clients have dsl connections and are not on the
> > same network. It also needs to be semi-secure, since it will be
> > going across the internet(it doesn't have to be encrypted, but I
> > would like to avoid plain text passwords being transferred across
> > the internet).
> >
> > Recommendations for anything from IM clients with voice chat to
> > GnomeMeeting or similar are welcome. VoIP would probably be overkill
> > at this point, though if there are free solutions that work well, I
> > have not totally ruled it out.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Jacob
>
> I like the term voice chat, because it sounds like it would make
> things somehow easier than VoIP :)

hmm... Voice chat does sound more like a casual IM conversation, whereas
VoIP makes me think of communication between computers and phone
numbers, extra software and possibly even harder and most of all - $$$.
But my goal here is just good sound quality and free; not any certain
methods.

> Anyway, I don't know whether Skype or any of that proprietary
> offerings support Linux. But you could always go with a 0$ tarif from
> VoIP providers like FWD and register there either with a SIP client
> (SJPhone, XLite beta both closed source, linphone open but broken) or,
> if they support IAX like FWD does, with an IAX client. Iaxcomm is
> open, runs on Linux and Windows. It may even support direct PC to PC
> calls, just ask on their list whether it does and how an IAX URI
> should look like for such a call. And about OS X while you're at it.
> IAX btw is a good protocol as it sends all data, signal and media,
> through a single UDP stream, so it's the easiest to set up in
> NATed/firewalled environments.

According to skype.com, they do have a Linux client - and even .debs of
it. I'll be looking into them further.

Do you have any urls for 0$ tarif VoIP providers? (I'm sure I could
google them, but that doesn't tell me what kind of experience Debian
users have had with them, using which software, etc.)

> If you need conferencing and stuff, either use teamspeak (closed
> source), or asterisk (huge but fun).

Thanks!
Jacob