Installing Gnome

I am installing Gnome.

"dpkg -l gnome gnome-desktop-environment" outputs:
    un  gnome          <none>         (no description available)
    ii  gnome-desktop- 64             The GNOME Desktop Environment

When I try to login with Gnome, I get the desktop and icons but no panel.
When I start a terminal, it does not accept any input.

Failsafe Gnome gives just a blank screen.

"aptitude install gnome" outputs:
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree
    Reading extended state information... Done
    E: Unable to correct dependencies, some packages cannot be installed
    E: Unable to resolve some dependencies!
    Some packages had unmet dependencies.  This may mean that you have
    or been moved out of Incoming.

    gnome: Depends: gnome-office (= 64) but it is not installable

I do not need "gnome-office".

How can I install Gnome?
--
Deepak, R. <http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/>