What is mDNSResponder for?

Evey time I boot up (Sarge), I get a list of messages dropped by my firewall.
They are all for IP address 224.0.0.251, on UDP port 5353. It looks like
these transmissions are being generated by mDNSResponder. I can't find
anything more than a very cryptic description of what this program is for,
but it looks as if it might be designed to run on server machines rather than
desktops. Can anybody explain its purpose, so that I can decide if I actually
need it?

Cheers,
David.