Re: fat32 partition gone to another dimension

--- Maurits van Rees <maurits@vanrees.org> wrote:
> Hello Ibrahim,
>
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 02:47:33PM -0800, Ibrahim Mubarak wrote:
[snip]
> You can try the program 'dosfsck' from the package 'dosfstools'.
>
> Do try to make a backup first if possible---if you don't already have
> one. In any case, you may want to make a bit-by-bit backup, so
> something like:
>
> dd if=device_file of=some_file
>
> where device_file is the partition in question and some_file is a
> file
> on another partition where you have plenty of room.
>

> It's not clear to me though if this is a Linux problem or a Microsoft
> problem. You may need to solve this on the other side of the boot. In
> that case you would need a different mailing list.

You might be right. I just tried to use an old 40 GB drive and format
it using windows, but I had no choice in the fs type. The only option
is NTFS, but I want it as FAT32. All this to be able to make a backup!
But now I am trying to format the disk under linux using mkdosfs. When
I format it using "mkdosfs -I -v -F 32 -f 1 /dev/hdb" the size of the
disk is limited to 1 GB. What can I do to make it take all 40 of them
GBs?

Thanks,
ib

The covers of this book are too far apart.
                -- Book review by Ambrose Bierce.