Re: fat32 partition gone to another dimension

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 02:36:24AM -0800, Ibrahim Mubarak wrote:
> You might be right. I just tried to use an old 40 GB drive and format
> it using windows, but I had no choice in the fs type. The only option
> is NTFS, but I want it as FAT32. All this to be able to make a backup!

I would expect that it is possible to choose FAT32 as file system. I
remember having faced this problem some years ago. I remember that in
the end I solved it. I don't remember how though. ;-) I may have even
just solved it exactly the way you are trying to solve it now: with
Linux.

Maybe there is a simple tool somewhere on the net to do this. Or you
could try going to the Windows command prompt and do a manual format
there. The FAT32 option may not be available in the GUI---where it
would just scare the poor, hapless users ;-)---but it could be there
in the command line tool.

> But now I am trying to format the disk under linux using mkdosfs. When
> I format it using "mkdosfs -I -v -F 32 -f 1 /dev/hdb" the size of the
> disk is limited to 1 GB. What can I do to make it take all 40 of them
> GBs?

/dev/hdb is the whole disk. You need to run mkdosfs on a partition,
like /dev/hdb1. If needed you can create a partition with cfdisk.

Okay, I just read in the man file for mkdosfs that the '-I'
option is supposed to work around that and allows you to format a
complete disk. So apparently the way you do it is possible, but I
don't think it is recommended. At least I don't recommend it. :)

So I suggest making a partition with 'cfdisk /dev/hdb'. Just let it
take the whole space and see if that works.

But like Daniel just wrote, there is a limit on the file system
size. It should be more than 1 GB though, even with Linux tools.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill