Re: fat32 partition gone to another dimension

Hello Ibrahim,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 02:47:33PM -0800, Ibrahim Mubarak wrote:
> I guess this might be more of a monolog than a mailing list post :D

That can be very therapeutic, but I'll hop in anyway. ;-)

> But I found the source of the problem. mount (version 2.12p) doesn't
> like fat32 partitions as I just mounted my floppy and the date went to
> 1970 on the mounted folder.

I think that's the normal behaviour. Not much can be done about
that. In Unix operating systems time is counted as seconds starting at
January 1, 1970. So when it doesn't know the time for a file it
defaults to 1970.

> I guess I'll do more googling tomorrow as it is almost midnight here in
> France.
>
> Still, if any of you can lead me to a fat32 rescue utility, I'll be so
> grateful.

You can try the program 'dosfsck' from the package 'dosfstools'.

Do try to make a backup first if possible---if you don't already have
one. In any case, you may want to make a bit-by-bit backup, so
something like:

dd if=device_file of=some_file

where device_file is the partition in question and some_file is a file
on another partition where you have plenty of room.

It's not clear to me though if this is a Linux problem or a Microsoft
problem. You may need to solve this on the other side of the boot. In
that case you would need a different mailing list.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill