ide questions

I've got a 200GB IDE disk (single partition) on my otherwise SCSI/SATA
sarge system, 2.6 kernel. It's astoundingly slow, and the whole system
(2.8GHz P4) grinds to a halt (almost) when writing to it. I can't say
what reading from it is like because I haven't yet successfully written
anything on it.

According to 'hdparm -i /dev/hda', it's a

Maxtor 6B200P0, FwRev=BAH41B70, SerialNo=B413LJ4H

According to lspci, the controller is a

Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) Ultra ATA 100 Storage Controller
(rev 02)

It doesn't seem to be using DMA: 'hdparm -X udma5 -d1 /dev/hda' says

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 setting xfermode to 69 (UltraDMA mode5)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

Is it trying to tell me my mobo doesn't do IDE DMA? Is there such a
thing as a permissions problem with a disk controller? I've never been
here before -- in the past, I just put in an IDE disk, and it went.

Can someone please tell me what's going on?

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com