Re: ide questions

Glenn English wrote:
I've got a 200GB IDE disk (single partition) on my otherwise SCSI/SATA
sarge system, 2.6 kernel. It's astoundingly slow, and the whole system
(2.8GHz P4) grinds to a halt (almost) when writing to it. I can't say
what reading from it is like because I haven't yet successfully written
anything on it.

It doesn't seem to be using DMA: 'hdparm -X udma5 -d1 /dev/hda' says

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 setting xfermode to 69 (UltraDMA mode5)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

Is it trying to tell me my mobo doesn't do IDE DMA? Is there such a
thing as a permissions problem with a disk controller? I've never been
here before -- in the past, I just put in an IDE disk, and it went.

Can someone please tell me what's going on?

Forgive me for not taking the time to find out which exactly of these kernel config parameters you need, but it's one or more of them. I had the same "not permitted" message until I turned it on. This was a change from kernel 2.4.X.

8 lines matching "dma" in buffer .config.
    9:CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
  270:CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
  271:# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED is not set
  272:CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
  273:# CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK is not set
  298:CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
  299:# CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set