Re: [Fwd: KI-2.6.8-2-686 Upgrage And Modem Issuse]

On 03/13/2005 02:20 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Please someone respond to this. I've done my homework and am stymied. Even
just a clue would help.  Thanks for reconsidering.
Leonard Chatagnier

KI-2.6.8-2-686 Upgrage And Modem Issuse
Leonard Chatagnier <lenc@ruralcomm.com>
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:48:52 +0000

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050105 Debian/1.7.5-1

After upgrading to kernel-image 2.6.8-2-686 and reinstalling my hcfpci winmodem deb file, I can activate the modem, dial my ISP, conduct PAP
negotiations and get my local IP address and DNS servers assigned with a
real connection in process using wvdial as indicated by the online time posted when I kill the process with cntrl C. However, no transmissions take place. If I use apt-get update, upgrade or anything requiring data transfer I get an error: to the effect-tempory error resolving URL. If I use my mozilla browser I get URL cannot be found, check the name and try again. It's obvious to me that the connection is there, but there is no communication between hosts. Am I dealing with a bug or is there an easy fix as there was for my X-window problem. The modem works fine when I bootup with my 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel using the same configuration files on wvdial, pon, pap-secrets, chap-secrets, etc. I'll appreciate any advice or suggested reading offered to solve this problem. It's the only issue I know to have to get a fully functioning system with the sarge kernel.
Thanks so much,
Leonard Chatagnier

Hello again Leonard,

I'll take a few non-expert swings at this... :)

1) Confirm your connectivity with ping and traceroute to a numerical IP address like or

2) Your errors resolving urls sound like a "no dns" problem. Try $ host www.debian.org , or $ dig www.kernel.org to see if you're getting anything back from your dns servers.

Of course you've read the /usr/share/doc/... for the packages you've upgraded and checked the bug reports for them?

Good luck!