Re: CD-RW as a removable "floppy"

Cage wrote:
I wouldn't have believed it either if it hadn't happened to me personally. My father and I had it happen to multiple discs. I had all memorex and he had memorex and tdk. It wasn't noticeable at first because the edge is only slightly visible. The tdk's were harder because they were black. But the memorex cdrw's were silver. but when you looked close you could see it. My dad wondered where the metal shavings were coming from in the cdrom. Until he saw this. He thought there was something wrong with the cdrom. But close inspection of the cdrw showed the culprit. We even saw sections where it was still slightly attached but ready to come of. And with a flick of a pair of tweezers sure enough it came off.

That's really strange. What side of the disc was it flaking off of? Did the disc have a label? Did it have a paper label, or a factory-applied paper label, or a factory-applied silkscreen label? How had the discs been stored? Had they been damaged otherwise?