Re: CD-RW as a removable "floppy"

Adam Porter wrote:

Cage wrote:

The problem with using CDRW for a removable storage device is that it can only be re written to about 15 times. You'll notice after some time that the edges of the silver media will start to flake off. I had this happen to me and my father had the same thing. What will happen is the edge will flake off. This is where the disk volume is written. And when this is corrupted it will render the disc useless. You might be able to read what was already written but it won't write anymore. I had one that got so bad that it wouldn't even read. I wish I had teh original magazine article I read about this in. But when I read it and inspected my cdrw media it was on the money. For the price it's easier to just get cdr's and use them. Or if you definitely need a removable media you're going to be transferring with continuously definitely look into flash drive or compact flash card with card reader. The second will come in handy with digital cameras also. Or like I do. I have all my computers, 2 desktops, a laptop and a pda, networked together with a hub. I haven't needed to use any transfer media in ages.

There is no hard number of how many times you can write to a CD-RW disc. It depends entirely on the quality of the disc. I've had Memorex CD-RW's that failed within a week. I have TDK CD-RWs that have never failed so far. I have some made by "Prime Peripherals" (who really manufactures the discs I don't know) that are still going strong after several years of reading and writing.

I don't understand how the edge could "flake off." The metal is covered in polycarbonate, thicker on the data side than the label side; the plastic on the label side is extremely thin, while on the data side it's pretty thick (you can see this by looking at the disc edge-on). You'd have to break through the plastic in order for the metal to flake off. If that's happening to you, you must have some *extremely* cheap discs. Buy quality TDK or Taiyo Yuden discs and you probably won't have any more trouble.

For more info check out <www.cdrfaq.org>.

I wouldn't have believed it either if it hadn't happened to me personally. My father and I had it happen to multiple discs. I had all memorex and he had memorex and tdk. It wasn't noticeable at first because the edge is only slightly visible. The tdk's were harder because they were black. But the memorex cdrw's were silver. but when you looked close you could see it. My dad wondered where the metal shavings were coming from in the cdrom. Until he saw this. He thought there was something wrong with the cdrom. But close inspection of the cdrw showed the culprit. We even saw sections where it was still slightly attached but ready to come of. And with a flick of a pair of tweezers sure enough it came off.