Re: Postfix | Sasl | Tls - Config

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:11:03 -0500
"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:

> Quoting "James Walker (RIT Student)" <jdwtch@rit.edu>:
>
> > Sorry if this has been posted here before, and this is just another one.  I
> > have for about a week now been switching all my servers running gentoo and
> > redhat to Debian.  I have used debian for a while now and really love it.
> > However I have ran into a major problem.  I cant, been trying for about a
> > week, get Postfix and SASL to work.  I have looked at numerous pages of docs,
> > RedHat ones, gentoo ones, Debain ones, and none of them seem to work.
> >
> > I am wondering if there is a place somewhere that has a simple place to show
> > me how to get postfix to use saslauthd with PLAIN and LOGIN to work.
> >
> > Thanks ALOT!
>
> Are you using Woody or Sarge?  If Woody, seriously consider one of the
> following:
>
> 1) Switch to Sarge
> 2) Get backports of Postfix 2.1 and SASL2
> 3) Install from source
>
> The versions in Woody are beyond ancient.  If you have an already working setup
> they are OK.  Otherwise, getting them to work is a royal pain as there is
> little
> or no existing documentation for the versions that old.  I managed to do it
> last year, but there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth.
>
> Incidentally, you may want to check if postfix is running in a chroot.  If it
> is, take it out and it is possible that will fix your problem.

The chroot can be incredibly difficult to deal with. I solved the problem by using saslauthd and putting the sasl mux location inside the postfix chroot, with a link from outside the chroot pointing there (and forced it all to stay there on reboot with some trickery). It might be a whole lot easier to do as Roberto said and remove the chroot from postfix (look over the master.cf file).

It is also generally very helpful to watch the output of the mail logs when you try to log in. Most of my clues to the problems I had were found by running tail -f /var/log/mail.log as I attempted to log in.

There is some information on how I dealt with postfix and sasl on my wiki:
http://wiki.ev-15.com/debian:mail_system#sasl

I have considered undoing a lot of the trickery in there and just removing the chroot from postfix, but at this point I'm of the opinion that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. If I were to install a new mail system, however, I would simply remove the chroot and leave the rest well enough alone.

--
Steve Block
http://www.steveblock.com/