Re: GL rendering in xscreensaver's flipflop

On (11/03/05 10:47), John M Flinchbaugh wrote:
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: John M Flinchbaugh <john@hjsoft.com>
> Subject: GL rendering in xscreensaver's flipflop
> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:47:43 -0500
>
> I'm running Debian unstable (with XFree86) on a ThinkPad R40.
>
> With my Radeon 7500, if I run the flipflop screensaver normally (with
> acceleration):
>     /usr/lib/xscreensaver/flipflop
> the little tiles don't have the nice shadows on the edges which give it
> a nice 3D look, but it does run nice and fast (42fps by its own count).
>
> If i run it as:
>     LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true /usr/lib/xscreensaver/flipflop
> the rendering is much nicer with the proper shadows on the edges, so
> they look rectangular.  The framerate is only 35fps then, and CPU usage
> greatly increases (since I guess it's software rendering).
>
> Am I missing something in my XFree86 config to let the accelerated 3D
> Radeon driver render this better?
>
> Here are the sections of my XF86Config-4 that look pertinent:
> Section "Module"
>         Load  "GLcore"
>         Load  "dbe"
>         Load  "dri"
>         Load  "extmod"
>         Load  "glx"
> EndSection
> Section "Device"
>         Option     "hw_cursor"
>         Option      "AGPMode" "4x"
>         Option      "AGPFastWrite" "true"
>         Identifier  "Card0"
>         Driver      "radeon"
>         VendorName  "All"
>         BoardName   "All"
> EndSection
>
> --
> John M Flinchbaugh
> john@hjsoft.com

You might consider this:

me:~$ cat /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
<snip>
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Radeon 7500"
        Driver          "radeon"
        VideoRam        32768
        Option          "Accel"         "on"
        Option          "AGPMode"       "4"
        Option          "AGPFastWrite"  "on"
        Option          "EnablePageFlip""on"
        Option          "HWCursor"      "on"
        Option          "DDCMode"       "on"
        Option          "UseFBDev"      "on"
        Option          "BusType"       "AGP"
EndSection
<snip

me:~$ glxgears
7418 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1483.600 FPS

Obligatory (and appropriate) disclaimers: HTH, YMMV.

--
JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com
PGP key 1024D/99421A63 2005-01-05