GL rendering in xscreensaver's flipflop

I'm running Debian unstable (with XFree86) on a ThinkPad R40.

With my Radeon 7500, if I run the flipflop screensaver normally (with
acceleration):
    /usr/lib/xscreensaver/flipflop
the little tiles don't have the nice shadows on the edges which give it
a nice 3D look, but it does run nice and fast (42fps by its own count).

If i run it as:
    LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true /usr/lib/xscreensaver/flipflop
the rendering is much nicer with the proper shadows on the edges, so
they look rectangular.  The framerate is only 35fps then, and CPU usage
greatly increases (since I guess it's software rendering).

Am I missing something in my XFree86 config to let the accelerated 3D
Radeon driver render this better?

Here are the sections of my XF86Config-4 that look pertinent:
Section "Module"
        Load  "GLcore"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "dri"