Partition Type in fdisk

I have two partitions that were originally created and formatted as FAT (one FAT16 and the other FAT32). Both have since been reformatted at ext3. If I mount them without specifying the formatting and then run mount to display the mounted partitions they show as ext3. No surprises there. If I run fdisk, however, it still shows the original partition type. I guess reformatting does not change that. My question is whether the reverse is also true. Can I go into fdisk and change only the partition type (just to get everything in sync again) without messing things up. One of those partitions is my fake_windows partition for wine and I really don't want to mess it up because it always takes too much effort to get wine working again when it gets fubar.
--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com