Dist-upgrade: no serial info

After a recent dist-upgrade (sarge) I am no longer able to use wvdial as it
cant get serial info for my device. Have tried to run setserial for the
device and it reports the same error.
cant get info for serial device ttySL0
 I have ibm r40 thinkpad and use slmodem-2.9.9-alsa. Have tried installing
slmodem-2.9.9 which uses the slamr0 module, and am getting errors loading
that module, whereas I have never had problems with that before either. No
errors in the logs about snd-intel8x0m loading but during boot am getting an
alsa error to do with the modem. lsmod shows snd-intel8x0m as loaded.
/etc/init.d/alsa restore alsa ctrl returned with error  no state is present
for card modem.
My device ttySL0 is there as always and slmodem is loading without errors.
Am not sure if this is to do with the loading of modules (modprobe) or alsa
or what. Due to not being able to load slamr0 module after a
compile,(unknown symbol and a couple of other errors, sorry am writing from
memory) am wondering if that and the problem with the intel8x0m module is
related. I am not really sure what is going on here, just that I cant use my
modem any more with two different modules, and have just about exhausted my
diagnostic abilities. Have dist-upgraded a couple of times to no avail.
Hopefully its a bug someone else is onto as I have no idea what to do from
here.
Shorty