Re: keyboard only works after kdm restart

Rodney D. Myers wrote:
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:41:56 +0100
Eike Kettner <spider@bielserv.homelinux.org> wrote:

Hello,
I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade on a box of a friend. There is kdm
installed which does not react on any keyboard input anymore.
So I switched via mouse to text console and restarted kdm (the

keyboard

works in text mode). Now the keyboard works... Can anyone help me with
that? If I need to attach files or log output, tell me what you need.

Thanks in advance
Eike

have had this problem).

One kind person gave a work around. Can't seem to find the email on my
computer at this point.

So this is a bit late--just went through this myself--but I thought
I'd go ahead and post the minimal fix that worked for me:

Add the line

       ServerVTs=-7

(without leading spaces, if it matters, which I don't know)
to the [General] stanza of /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc .

The thing that concerns me a little is, this bug shows
up on bugs.debian.org as resolved (see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=88707&archive=yes).
I don't think it ought to have been closed as it's still biting people
(it got me within the last week or so).

Now that I look at the date on the above link (March 2001) I guess
maybe this is a reemergence of some sort.