How does a user get locked out unintentionally?

Yesterday I ran InteractiveBastille; but I passed up on some of the more stringent choices.

Today, I can log into Gnome (wearing my normal hat); however, when my wife tries to login her password illicits "The system administrator has temporarily disabled access"

I had her try logging in on the console: there she gets "Permission denied"

I did "passwd -u <herlogin>" -- it responded "password changed;" but the situation did not change. The account details (passwd -S) look exactly like my own. ( P <date> 0 99999 7 -1 )

I removed bastille, figuring it was the only security-related thing I've done since her last login.
That also didn't help.

I'm in deep doo-doo here!  Can anyone help?

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.