Oracle 9i on sarge: "symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference (libzip.so)"

I have sucessfully installed Oracle 9i on a debian sarge machine, and am attempting to run the Oracle Net Services Configuration tool, netca.

When I try running the script as created by the installer (which uses a java VM shipped with the Oracle installation), I get the following error:

symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference (libzip.so)

Previously, when I created the database instance using the dbca script, I also got this error, but worked around it by changing the script to use a different java VM from Sun. This enabled me to get the database instance created with no errors or warnings.

When I tried the same trick on the netca script , I got a different error:

Oracle Net Services Configuration:
Configuring Listener:LISTENER
#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x400a5620, pid=20844, tid=1196420016
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_01-b08 mixed mode, sharing)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libc.so.6+0x72620]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid20844.log

Since both errors contain a reference to libc.so.6, I was wondering if there are known problems related to running java under sarge. Both the VMs (from Oracle and Sun) crashed in similar ways relared to libc6.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

--
Best regards,

Peter Hugosson-Miller

Oracle Net Services Configuration:
Configuring Listener:LISTENER
#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x400a5620, pid=20844, tid=1196420016
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_01-b08 mixed mode, sharing)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libc.so.6+0x72620]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid20844.log
#
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
/var/opt/oracle/product/9i/bin/netca: line 138: 20844 Aborted                 $JRE -classpath $CLASSPATH oracle.net.ca.NetCA $*
/var/opt/oracle/product/jre/1.1.8/bin/../lib/i686/native_threads/libzip.so: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference (libzip.so)
Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread
Could not create Java VM