Could not execv /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/createuser

hi all,

I have installed postgresql 8.0.1 from source on a Debian Woody 3.0 r2

Initially while executing commands I was getting the error,readpgenv
file doesn't exist.
Then I created an empty file readpgenv and chmoded it to 0777.Now when
I try to create a postgres user I get the error

Could not execv /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/createuser

I tried adding the postgres bin dir to the environment path.But still
the problem exists.

Could some one please kindly help me to solve the above problem and
get Postgresql working correctly

thankyou so much

kind regards

Siju