Re: [survey] mutt - default settings on Debian

Eduard Bloch wrote:

  remove "ignore date" setting and make the date visible everywhere
change it

 - colors: the current color map is acceptable but sucks WRT clear
  visible contrasts: green on blue is not good readable, black on blue
  is also bad.
  Suggested changes (attached):
  more White-on-Blue
  red index marker
  dark-green unimportant header lines
  bright-yellow Subject: and Date: fields
no strong opinion

- current settings hide the index view when the message is beeing
  displayed in the pager. I think it makes sense to keep the overview
  of the next few messages while the current message is displayed.
  Suggested change:
  set pager_index_lines=5
keep current

(I don't think the split-pane view is very useful in 80x24 so I disagree with it being the default).

Eduard -

I don't want to 'water down' this survey, but there are three strong suggestions of my own which at the very least, I would like your opinion on :)

1) change the sorting so that a thread's 'date' is the date of the LAST post to the thread, not the first. Otherwise, a new reply to a thread may not be immediately visible. This is in line with e.g. how gmail does it.
set sort_aux=last-date-received

2) rebind the reply key so that, if a list is know, a list reply is done first see http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200311/msg02518.html
macro index r <list-reply><reply>
macro pager r <list-reply><reply>