Re: How to restore overwritten partion table?

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 05:28:08 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
> > Hi good people,
> > A friend inadvertently made changes to his windoze disk (partition)
> > during initial install of woody but quit afterwards before permanently
> > writing changes to the partition table. However, the original OS can
> > now not boot at all. Error on start-up is "No operating system found".
> >
> > How can I restore the original partition table so as to boot windoze
> > 2000 and salvage whatever data he had on it?
> >
> > There was only one partition on disk which had been taken entirely by
> > windoze. The partition was _not_ formatted after creation.
> >

> http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/testdisk

Thanks so far for your invaluable help.

I did try testdisk and gpart available on knoppix 3.4 but the two
tools could not recover the original NTFS partition. Tools were run as
follows:

# tesdisk /log /debug

# gpart -vvvf -n s -l /tmp/gpart.log -w ntfs,1.5 -W /dev/hda /dev/hda

My thinking is that the installer had commenced formating the
partitions before the computer was turned off.

Attached are gpart and testdisk log outputs. Please see if you can
make anything out of them before I accept that data has been
lost/unrecoverable and may as well install Woody on the entire disk,
formatting it "properly" in the process.

--

Thanks & regards,
Alphonse Ogulla