[OT] SCSI Primer

Hello,

I recently picked up some old servers that use SCSI for all the hard
drives. I know the basics, as far as the jumpers to set the SCSI id,
terminators on the cables, etc. What I'm having a problem with though,
is what SCSI types can work with which others. I know nothing will be
fully compatible, but just knowing what can work at the highest common
denominator would be very helpful.

For example, in their stock configuration, the servers have 80pin SCSI
connectors on the motherboard that plug into 80pin backplanes. But the
hard drives plug into 68pin connectors on the same backplane. And then
one of the servers has a 50pin SCSI connector on a RAID5 card.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial with pictures and descriptions of
the different connectors, explaining what can inter-operate with what
advantages and disadvantages, etc? My googling has been fairly futile so
far.

TIA,
Jacob