Re: Auto-notify remote user of IP address change?

On Monday 07 March 2005 20:59, David Powell wrote:
> I'm installing a DB server into a clients office, and I want to be able
> to set up remote ssh access to the box from home.
>
> The glitch is that the client's ADSL internet access has a dynamic IP
> address.

The usual CHEAP way to do this, as Roberto mentioned, is with a dynamic IP
account (through dyndns.org, for instance), and a dynamic DNS client on the
machine you want to access (or better yet, on your router).  Basically, every
time the IP changes, the machine will inform your dynamic IP account, which
will point a domain name at the new IP address.  So, for instance,
mycomputer.dyndns.org would always point to the computer in question, no
matter what it's actual IP.

I've had problems with that on DSL: IPs change quite quickly, and setting the
update frequency didn't seem to help much, at least with the service I was
using.  It's worth trying, though.

If all else fails, the more correct way is to get a static IP address from
your ISP.  Some don't provide such things, but most decent ISPs do.  It may
cost a little extra each month, but gives you lots of options :)

--
Lee.